Celebrations begin as Sun says goodbye to page 3

Protestors cropped

Charity welcomes an end to sexist images in tabloid newspaper

Graham Martin's photo

20th January 2015 by Graham Martin 0 Comments

An anti-abuse charity has welcomed the decision to stop publishing topless pictures of women on page three of the Sun newspaper.

The Rupert Murdoch owned tabloid will cease running the photos on Friday – following a lengthy campaign by people opposed to the objectification of women.

The topless images have long drawn protests, with an online petition against their use attracting more than 215,000 signatures so far.

A campaign group called No More Page Three was founded in 2012 by Lucy-Anne Holmes, and has since gained support from a number of MPs and anti-sexism charities.

Tender, which tackles abuse by promoting healthy relationships based on equality and respect, said the move was a massive step forward.

This won’t mean the end of the objectification but it is important to celebrate the result of decades of campaigning

A spokeswoman said: “Tender was pleased to learn that The Sun appears to have dropped page three.

“While we know that this won’t mean the end of the objectification of women in The Sun or the media in general, it is important to step back and take a moment to celebrate the result of decades of campaigning that started with Clare Short and was continued by Lucy Anne Holmes and No More Page Three.

“The work is far from done, but today we feel the impact of the bravery and dedication of those who stand up for equality.

“The absence, or even alteration of page three, has received a great deal of public support, and it is so meaningful for the young people we work with to see that what is perceived to be the norm can be challenged and changed. Today is a good day. Tomorrow can be better.”

It is understood that although removed from the paper, the images will still be carried on The Sun’s website.