Major fire destroys woodwork charity


Flames engulfed project at 2am 

6th September 2018 by Robert Armour 0 Comments

A major blaze has all but destroyed the premises of a woodworking charity in Glasgow.

Flames were first reported coming out of the Bullwood Project in Nitshill at 2.30am this morning (6 September).

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said it had sent six appliances, including two aerial units, to the scene.

One witness on Twitter said: “The fire brigade say stay away and close all windows as there is asbestos in the building which has collapsed. The sounds coming from the fire even half a mile away is loud.”

The charity operates a woodworking machine shop and makes a range of Bullwood branded goods.

It trains people in woodworking skills in Nitshill – an area of high deprivation.

While the charity itself is not allowed to trade it owns a trading company, Bullwood Limited, which donates all surplus funds to the organisation.